The French team at the European Championships in Rotterdam 1979: Hubert Parot on Fukase Grimeau, Eric Leroyer on Flambeau C, Patrick Caron on Eole IV and Gilles Bertran de Balanda on Galoubet A.
Here’s Gilles Bertrán de Balanda on the great stallion Galoubet A in Rotterdam 1981.
Gilles Bertran de Balanda with the great stallion Galoubet A at the World Championships in Dublin 1982. It’s also a spectacular course with big beautiful obstacles on a historic arena.
The first round:
The second round:
Happy Birthday to Gilles Bertran de Balanda, 61 years today!
Galoubet A (1972 – 2005), selle francais stallion, bay, 173 cm, was ridden by the French rider Gilles Bertran de Balanda.
Galoubet was by the great sire Almé out of Viti. The mother, Viti, was a trotter mare who was not fast enough to race and was instead tried in show jumping, where she showed fine jumping capabilities. As a brood mare she produced 13 foals including Galoubet. A strange mix, but there are a couple of other exceptional jumpers out of a trotter mare in the show jumping history; Halla and Jappeloup. The father Almé, who competed with Francois Mathy and Johan Heins, was one of the all time great jumping stallions.
Galoubet was spotted by Gilles Bertran de Balanda as a five year old, and a few months later the pair won the five year old final at Fontainebleau. Galoubet competed internationally for five years before he was retired to stud in 1982 and has since sired many top performers. Galoubet ranked third on the WBFSH standings for 2000/2001, largely on the basis of his son Baloubet du Rouet.
- 1979 Won Wiesbaden Grand Prix
- 1979 15th European Championships
- Champion of France in 1977, 1979 and 1982
- 1980 Winning Nations Cups Teams – in Aachen, Chaudefontaine, Longchamp and Toronto.
- 1980 8th World Cup Final in Baltimore, USA.
- 1980 8th Alternative Olympic Games in Rotterdam.
- 1980/81 Winner of the FEI World Cup Jumping League (Western Europe)
- 1981 Won three World Cup qualifiers in a row at Antwerp, s’Hertogenbosch and Dortmund.
- 1982 Team Gold Show Jumping World Championships in Dublin.
- 1982 5th Individual, at the Show Jumping World Championships