Alwin Schockemöhle on Warwick Rex at CHIO Rotterdam 1976.
Here’s Alwin Schockemöhle on Warwick Rex at CSIO Rotterdam in 1975.
Alwin Schockemöhle on Warwick Rex – Olympic champion in Montreal 1976.
Happy Birthday to Alwin Schockemöhle – 75 years today!
Alwin Schockemöhle (born May 29, 1937 in Meppen, Hanover) is one of the greatest in the history of show jumping. At the age of 23 years he won his first Olympic gold medal in Rome 1960 with the German show jumping team, followed in Mexico 1968 by a bronze medal. At the 1976 Olympics in Montreal he won both gold in the individual and a silver medal with the German team which he was part of with his brother Paul. Several times he has been crowned champion of Europe and Germany. He was forced to end his career already in 1977 due the problems with his back that he had suffered from for years. He instead became a successful trainer and coach. Alwin discovered and trained young talents to the highest level. Stars like Gerd Wiltfang, Franke Sloothaak, Thomas Frühmann, Ulrich Kirchhoff and Johan Heins were all his pupils. Since the 1980′s Alwin mostly dedicates himself to trotting horse racing and breeding and he became one the most successful breeders of trotters in Europe. In 203 his Abano AS won the Prix d’Ameriqe in Paris.
- 1960 in Rome: Gold medal team, individual 26th on Ferdl
- 1968 in Mexiko City: Bronze medal team, individual 7th on Donald Rex
- 1976 in Montreal: Silver medal team, Gold medal individual on Warwick Rex
- 1963 in Rome Bronze medal team, Silver medal individual on Ferdl and Freiherr
- 1965 in Aachen: Bronze medal individual on Freiherr
- 1967 in Rotterdam: Bronze medal individual on Donald Rex and Pesgö
- 1969 in Hickstead: Silver medal individual on Donald Rex and Wimpel
- 1973 in Hickstead: Silver medal individual on Rex the Robber and Weiler
- 1975 in Munich: Gold medal team and Gold medal individual on Warwick Rex
Other big victories:
- Four times German champion (1961, 1963, 1967, 1975)
- Three times champion of the Grand Prix of Aachen (1962 on Freiherr, 1968 on Donald Rex and 1969 on Wimpel)
- Three times champion of the German Jumping Derby in Hamburg (1957, 1969, 1971)
Alwin Schockemöhle on Warwick Rex won both individual and team gold at the European Championships in Munich 1975. A year later in Alwin crowned his career with the Olympic gold in Montrel 1976.
Alwin Schockemöhle on Warwick Rex winning the individual Olympic Gold in Montreal 1976. This is the second round and a historic first ever double clear round on one of biggest courses ever built. A piece of history!
Vintage Show Jumping from the Montreal 1976 Olympics in Bromont (individual) and at the Olympic Stadium (team competition) with Alwin Schockemöhle on Warwick Rex and many more! 30 minutes!
Alwin Schockemöhle on Warwick Rex, here seen at the 1975 European Championships in Munich, where they won the individual gold medal. A year later Alwin became Olympic Champion in Montreal 1976, also on Warwick Rex after two outstanding clear rounds.
Alwin Schockemöhle on Warwick Rex when he won the European Championships in Munich in 1975.